Pretty Pets Kennel



14 Most Poisonous Plants For Dogs To Steer Clear Of

Owning a dog is a joyful journey, but it comes with responsibilities too. One important duty is to keep them safe from harmful things, such as plants that can be poisonous for dogs. In this guide, we will share the top poisonous plants for dogs that you should avoid to keep your furry friend safe and happy. So, let’s get started on making our gardens a safer place for our beloved pets.

Sago Palm

Image via Maria Orlova on Pexels

The sago palm is a common choice for many garden enthusiasts due to its ornamental appeal. Every part of this plant is toxic to dogs, especially the seeds. When ingested, it can lead to a host of distressing symptoms including vomiting, diarrhoea, and seizures, and in grave cases, it can cause liver failure. Dog owners are advised to either keep these toxic plants for dogs at a distance or eliminate them from their premises to maintain a safe environment.


Image via Pixabay on Pexels

Tulips are a delightful sight, yet they pose dangers to our canine companions. The bulbs are the most toxic part, and if eaten by dogs, they could suffer from stomach upset, lethargy, and loss of appetite. 

Lily of the Valley

Image via 대정 김 on Pexels

Lily of the valley, known for its delicate, sweet-scented blooms, is one of the flowers poisonous to dogs. A small nibble on any part of this plant can lead to heart irregularities, changes in blood pressure, and gastrointestinal distress like vomiting and diarrhoea. In severe cases, dogs may experience disorientation, seizures, or even fall into a coma. 


Image via Nica’s Photo on Pexels

Oleander, a common outdoor shrub, is as dangerous as it is beautiful. Every segment of this plant contains cardiac glycosides, which can interfere with a dog’s heart function, manifesting in irregular heart rate and rhythm. Other signs of ingestion include abdominal pain, drooling, and severe gastrointestinal upset. It’s a plant best kept out of paw’s reach.


Image via Huy Phan on Pexels

Philodendrons are popular houseplants with heart-shaped leaves and long vines. Despite their popularity, they carry a threat to dogs due to insoluble calcium oxalate crystals present in their foliage. When a curious dog chews on these plants, the crystals which are toxic to dogs, can cause severe irritation in the mouth and throat. Though not as lethal as other plants on this list, the discomfort caused makes it worth considering other pet-friendly indoor plant alternatives.

Rhododendron (Azaleas)

Image via Zhen H on Unsplash

Rhododendron, often recognised as azaleas, is a garden favourite but poses a serious threat to dogs. The presence of grayanotoxin in this plant can cause gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhoea. In more severe instances, if a dog ingests a substantial amount, it may suffer from weakness, tremors, a change in heart rate, or even a drop in blood pressure.

Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane)

Image via Suki Lee on Pexels

Dieffenbachia, or dumb cane, is known for its distinctive green leaves and white stripes, making it a popular choice for indoor decor. However, it contains calcium oxalate crystals which can cause an immediate burning sensation in a dog’s mouth, leading to excessive drooling and vomiting. While it’s not typically life-threatening, the discomfort caused is significant, making it less suitable for dog-friendly homes.

Japanese Yews (Buddhist pine, Southern yew)

Image via Sara Mobasheri on Unsplash

Japanese yews are evergreen shrubs or trees often utilised for landscaping purposes. However, except for the red berries, every part of this plant can be toxic to dogs. Ingesting the leaves, seeds, or bark can result in vomiting, and in more severe cases, tremors or seizures can occur. Exploring alternative, non-toxic plants for landscaping can prevent any unfortunate incidents involving your furry friend.


Image via Bayram Yalçın on Pexels

Cyclamen, admired for its vibrant blooms, can be a perilous plant for dogs, especially if they manage to reach the toxic roots. Ingestion can lead to severe gastrointestinal upset, causing symptoms like vomiting and diarrhoea. In more serious instances, it may result in heart rhythm abnormalities and seizures. 

Autumn Crocus

Image via Jarosław Ponikowski  on Pexels

The autumn crocus, though entrancing with its blooms, carries hazardous alkaloids. If ingested by dogs, it can trigger severe gastrointestinal issues, including vomiting and diarrhoea. More severe reactions can escalate to organ damage or bleeding disorders, posing a significant threat to your dog’s health.

Tomato Plant

Image via Robert So on Pexels

Tomato plants, common in many gardens, can be harmful to dogs, especially the green parts like the leaves and stems that contain solanine. When ingested, they may cause a variety of symptoms including weakness, gastrointestinal disturbances, drowsiness, dilated pupils, and a slowed heart rate. While the ripe fruit is generally considered safe, it’s prudent to ensure that the rest of the plant is out of your dog’s reach to prevent any adverse reactions.

Aloe Vera

Image via Madison Inouye on Pexels

Aloe vera is widely recognised for its skin-soothing and medicinal properties. However, its healing reputation doesn’t extend to dogs. The plant harbours a substance known as saponins, which can trigger an array of unpleasant symptoms in dogs upon ingestion. The reactions can range from vomiting and diarrhoea to lethargy and tremors, making it a less desirable plant for dog owners. Its bitter taste often deters dogs from consuming it, but if they do, the aftermath can be distressing.

Baby’s Breath

Image via Yulia Polyakova on Pexels

Baby’s breath, known for its fine and tiny blooms, is a popular filler in bouquets. However, it’s not a safe plant for dogs. If a dog chews on or eats this plant, it can experience vomiting and diarrhoea. Despite its delicate appearance, baby’s breath can upset a dog’s gastrointestinal tract, which could lead to an uncomfortable experience for both the pet and the owner.


Image via Mike Greer on Pexels

Chrysanthemums, with their bright and cheerful flowers, are a favourite among garden enthusiasts. However, they pose a risk to dogs due to the presence of toxins. If a dog ingests any part of this plant, it can suffer from vomiting, diarrhoea, skin rashes, and drooling. The colourful allure of chrysanthemums contrasts with their potential harm to dogs, making them a plant to be cautious of, especially in gardens accessible to pets.


Being a responsible dog owner involves creating a safe and nurturing environment for your furry friend. Being aware of potential dangers in your garden or home is crucial for keeping your dog healthy and happy. By steering clear of toxic plants and opting for pet-safe alternatives, you can enjoy the beauty of nature together with your canine companion, ensuring many happy tail wags in a secure and loving setting.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Open chat
Hi, Thank you for your inquiry to Pretty Pets Kennel ! How can we assist you?